The main objectives of the protective device coordination study are to:
- Prevent injury to personnel
- Minimize damage to system components
- Limit the extent and duration of service interruption whenever equipment failure, human error, or adverse natural events occur on any portion of the electrical power system.
Protective device coordination studies will:
- Avoid extensive plant outages and safety hazards to personnel and equipments.
- Set the protective devices to trip in a desired sequence during the fault condition.
- Isolate the problem area from the entire power system.
- Ensure that all the equipments are adequately protected.